Paraprofessional License Information
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A PARAPROFESSIONAL LICENSE
You may be interested in taking the ETS Parapro Test if:
- You are at least 20 years old,
- have a high school diploma or GED,
- and have completed less than 60 college credit hours.
You do not need to take the ETS Parapro Test if:
- You are at least 20 years old,
- and have 60 or more college credit hours.
To Register for the ETS Parapro Test
- Call Angie R. at ROE # 17 (309) 888-5120 ext. 1200.
- Testing is available on Thursdays at 9:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at our office.
- The test fee is $55 and is payable cash, check or PayPal and must be prepaid. This fee is non-refundable if you do not show up for your appointment.
- The ETS Parapro Test consists of 90 multiple choice questions. You have 2.5 hours to complete the test. A passing score is 460 or higher and scoring occurs as soon as you finish.
On the day of the test please bring:
- A photo ID and
- Proof that you have graduated from high school or have passed a High School Equivalency Test.
When you have passed the test, you will be given instructions on how to apply for the paraprofessional license. The application is completed online on the State Board of Education website. There is a $100 fee to apply for the license and once it is issued, a $50 fee to register it. You may use a credit or debit card.
To obtain a Paraprofessional License in the State of Illinois:
- Log on to www.isbe.net and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log in to ELIS, then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign Up Now in the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select Continue.
- Once logged in, click on Apply for a Paraprofessional License. You will pay a $100.00 application fee plus a convenience fee.
- You will be directed to mail an official college transcript or test score report and proof of high school graduation or GED diploma to the State Board of Education. You should have the documents mailed to Angie Riethmaier's attention at Regional Office of Education #17, 200 W. Front St, Suite 500 D, Bloomington, IL 61701 and it will be uploaded to the State Board of Education’s website to speed up the issuance of the license.
- Email Angie Riethmaier at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know why she is receiving your transcript or diploma. If you passed the Parapro test at this Regional Office of Education #17, we will automatically receive your test scores, but we will need proof of high school graduation or passage of the GED test.
Registering your Paraprofessional License:
1. Once we receive the appropriate documents (college transcripts OR official Parapro Test results) check your ELIS account to see when the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you may register your license.
2. Click on Registration and follow the steps. You will pay $50.00 registration fee plus a convenience fee.
3. When the license is issued and registered, print your current credential page to give to your school district as evidence of your valid Paraprofessional license.
The only requirement for renewal of your paraprofessional license is to pay the $50 renewal fee every five years.
Professional development is not required for this license.