Paraprofessional License Information
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A PARAPROFESSIONAL LICENSE
You may be interested in taking the ETS Parapro Test if:
- You are at least 19 years old,
- have a high school diploma or GED,
- and have completed less than 60 college credit hours.
You do not need to take the ETS Parapro Test if:
- You are at least 19 years old,
- and have 60 or more college credit hours.
To Register for the ETS Parapro Test
- Call Angie R. at ROE # 17 (309) 888-5120 ext. 1200.
- Testing is available on Thursdays at 9:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at our office.
- The test fee is $55 and is payable cash, check or PayPal and must be prepaid. This fee is non-refundable if you do not show up for your appointment.
- The ETS Parapro Test consists of 90 multiple choice questions. You have 2.5 hours to complete the test. A passing score is 460 or higher and scoring occurs as soon as you finish.
On the day of the test please bring:
- A photo ID and
- Proof that you graduated from high school or passed a High School Equivalency Test.
When you have passed the test, you will be given instructions on how to apply for the paraprofessional license. The application is completed online on the State Board of Education website. There is a $100 fee to apply for the license and once it is issued, a $50 fee to register it. You may use a credit or debit card.
To obtain a Paraprofessional License in the State of Illinois:
- Log on to www.isbe.net and at the top center click on System Quick Links --> ELIS: Educator Licensure Information System --> EDUCATOR ACCESS --> Login to your ELIS account --> CLICK HERE FOR FIRST TIME ACCESS TO THE ELIS SYSTEM (right side of screen).
- Create your account and follow the prompts
- Once logged in, click on “Apply for a Paraprofessional Endorsement.” You will need to use a credit card to pay a $100.00 application fee plus a convenience fee.
- You will be directed to mail an official college transcript or test score report and proof of high school graduation or GED diploma to the State Board of Education. You should have the documents mailed to Angie Riethmaier's attention at Regional Office of Education #17, 200 W. Front St, Suite 500 D, Bloomington, IL 61701 and it will be uploaded to the State Board of Education’s website to speed up the issuance of the license.
- Email Angie Riethmaier at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know why she is receiving your transcript or diploma. If you passed the Parapro test at this Regional Office of Education #17, we will automatically receive your test scores, but we will need proof of high school graduation or passage of the GED test.
Registering your Paraprofessional License:
- Once we receive the appropriate documents (college transcripts OR official Parapro Test results) we will upload them to your ELIS account. Once the state reviews the credentials your license will be changed from “Pending Review” to “Issued” and you may now register your license. ISBE will send you an automated email when they issue the license.
- Log into your ELIS account, click on Registration and follow the steps. With a credit card you will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee for your registration.
- When the license is issued and registered, print your current credential page to give to your school district as evidence of your valid Paraprofessional license.
The only requirement for renewal of your paraprofessional license is to pay the $50 renewal fee every five years.
Professional development is not required for this license.